Saturday, July 9, 2011

Getting a Chance to Fight

This entry is from a letter  written by Henry H. Hitchcock, 12th Infantry  New York, where he expresses his desire to get in the action, but that he doesn't think he will get a chance.

Tuesday, July 9th, 1861, writing to his brother:

I presume you see by the papers that nearly all the troops here are ordered to move forward so we expect that something will be done soon. I am afraid we shall be kept back still longer watching the bridge and not get into the mess as I heard the other day. We should be likely to be kept then some time. I am sorry for that as I want to go in. I did not come to fool away my time but want to try my luck but don’t see much prospect as the Rebels are retreating and there are so many ahead of us. I am afraid we shan’t get a chance at them. I don’t imagine that it will be a very long war but of course can tell nothing further than to guess. . . .

. . .I think that the Rebels act very strangely to keep backing out as they do from every point and without ever trying to keep our troops back at all but perhaps they know their business best. I have not the least doubt of a speedy and satisfactory result. Don’t think that we shall have to stay longer than spring to see the whole thing settled. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Unidentified Union Soldier, from Library of Congress Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment