Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I Vow I Will Not Move One Step

Today's entry is from a Confederate Girl's Diary by Sarah Morgan Dawson.  The author, a daughter of a prominent judge, lived in New Orleans at the time.

April 26, 1862
There is no word in the English language that can express the state in which we are, and have been these last three days.  Day before yesterday, news came early in the morning of three of the enemy's boats passing the Forts, and then the excitement began.  It increased rapidly on hearing of the sinking of eight of our gunboats in the engagement, the capture of the Forts, and last night, of the burning of the wharves and cotton in the city while the Yankees were taking possession.  To-day, the excitement has reached the point of delirium.

. . .We only know we had best be prepared for anything.  So Lilly and I sewed up our jewelry, which may be of use if we have to fly.  I vow I will not move one step, unless carried away.  Come what will, here I remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment